Monday, May 26, 2008

Remember

Today is Memorial Day. It is a time in our country when we take the time to remember and think about the brave men and women who so valiantly serve our country. This day is very important to me. I had a grandfather of legendary caliber. He served this country during the Korean Conflict and the Vietnam War. Not only did he serve, he made his career in the US Navy. I am so proud of him. He was the father I never had, and made sure I knew how very much I was loved and cherished. He passed away in 2003. I know that sounds like he didn't give his life in the service, and therefore not really part of the memorial day ceremonies. He was on board ships that patrolled the coastline of Vietnam, they even ran up some of the rivers. He was one of the men sprayed with agent orange. I am not upset, nor do I blame my country. Grandaddy knew there were risks going in, the government was trying to reduce the bug population. All I can say is, Thank You Grandaddy for being a devoted soldier, a brave man and the best Grandaddy in the world. I Love You and will see you again. I am so glad you found Jesus!

1 comment:

The Gardner Gang said...

Your grandfather is a wonderful man. He fully deserves to be honored for his service to our country. My grandfather was involved in the WWII and the Korean Conflict. He died a month before Katie was born due to old age. He still deserves to be honored though. Love ya girl!
H