Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What's In A Name

There are two issues going on in the Beam household currently. The most noticeable would be the absence of our jock, David. He left for camp Sunday and won't be home until Friday. For those of you who have 1 or 2 children or your children go to school, I'm sure you are thinking that 1 down with 3 left is no big deal. Well, I am a mother who is used to being with her children 24/7. Way back when I only had one, I couldn't seem to get anything done because I was always holding my baby. Now that there are four I am lonely without 1! I know, lonely in a crowd? Friday can't come soon enough. The other big deal is probably only a big deal to me. I know that Matt isn't loosing sleep over it anyway. We are trying to come up with a name for this baby. We picked beautiful names for all the boys and I want this one to be lovely as well. I get one shot at naming a girl and it had better be perfect! We thought we had at least one of her names picked out but I think we may be willing to scrap it and start over. I am looking for suggestions. We have some criteria. I have to be able to imagine a 90 year old with the name. The meaning has to be relevant (no moon child) I like really old-fashioned and Matt is picky. Oh, alright, I am too. HELP!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathy, our small group last night discussed trying to find a name that would go with the last name of Beam. These are some of the names we came up with: Moon, Sun, Balance, light. We didn't think the name Scarlet would work. Seriously, other names we talked about were Emily, Lydia, Hannah, Rachel, and Sarah.

Anonymous said...

I really like the name Samantha. Then you could shorten it to a boys name, Sam. Maybe not, but Samantha is a really pretty name.

The Gardner Gang said...

Well I think Heather is a great name. There just arn't enough Heathers that are under 30. Imagine me in 60 years and you will see if it works for a 90 year old. Seriously anything you pick will be wonderful. You need something biblical and something family right? I still like Elaine and call her Lanie. Let me know what you come up with.
H

Bill & Susan said...

Abigail. The meaning of the name Abigail is "Joy Of The Father"

Anonymous said...

The name game! Ugh! I had the same issues with naming a boy! You will come up with the most beautiful name for that little girl!! Charlene

Anonymous said...

Prisca? maybe?
She'll have to have specially monogrammed "stuff" and won't ever find a key chain or a coffee mug, but I can see a very happy 90 year old with the name. It means "ancient" after all.. oh, and it's in the BIBLE! (a rare mention of a woman before her husband AND one of the first small group homes in Corinth)...
I'm jes' sayin'.
Love,
Prisca Jane (named for each grandmother)