Monday, March 30, 2009

Baby Dolls and Bugs

I know, there are huge differences between girls and boys. Let's face it, some of them are obvious. I guess that the differences in their behavior and preferences really stand out to me since I have had boys for 15 years and a girl for only 6 months. The boys were very different, but also very similar. They were all creatures of habit and comfort. They liked routine and liked to be dry, loved and full. They were all such sweet babies. They never really cared about anything on their bodies as long as they were warm in winter and cool in summer. Toys were just about anything they could hold in their hands. They all went through a phase where all they really wanted was a plastic spoon from the utensil drawer! Dirt, trees, and anything outside was a huge bonus. Yes, we even did the worm thing at around 2 years old. I do not miss finding those in pockets on laundry day!
Annabeth has already turned out to be so different. She really seems to notice what I put on her. She likes to wear dresses, she keeps running her hands down the skirts. I put bows in her hair and she keeps checking to make sure they are still there. She will get fussy in the morning and visibly cheer when she gets fresh clothes on. She likes bubble baths, having her hair brushed, and primping in general. I will say that the biggest thing is the baby doll. She has several already and loves all of them. She likes to look at the larger ones and will smile and "talk" to them. She has two soft dolls that are a good size for her. She loves to hug them to her and "kiss" them. She sleeps with them and takes them with her wherever we go. I took rattles for the boys but I have to pack the babies for her. I took her to the Dr. today for a check-up and he had to do the exam around the doll because of the death grip she had on the thing! I prayed for all of my children before they were born. I would have been thrilled to be a mom to only boys. When I found out that I was having a girl, I prayed that she would be feminine and girly and a mama's girl. God is so good, He listens to not only the things we need but He delights in giving us the desires of our hearts as well. I think my Father looks at Annabeth and I, and smiles at the relationship we are building. I am one blessed girl!!!

1 comment:

The Gardner Gang said...

She is so her Mother's Daughter. How you have managed to remain girly and femanine all these years with only boys is beoynd me. But you have and you will be a great example to your little princess. I'm so glad you get to be the parent to both genders. I love my boys to death but girls are great too. I think all parents who have both want other parents to experience both as well. I'm proud of you, you are doing great with her.
H
P.S. Happy Birthday David, the card is in the mail. :)