Thursday, January 31, 2008

All Things To All People

What is fair? There really is nothing in life that is fair. We were never told that it would be. So why on earth do we all go looking for this myth? My children were all born with "fair" tattooed on their brains. I have never set out to disillusion them, and still they demand for everything to be fair. Matt and I have spent the better part of 14 years telling them that their reward comes later. They were never promised that life would be fair or easy, only that they would receive eternal life through Christ Jesus. We are even told that we are not of this world, that we are aliens. That should tell us that the pie will not always be cut into equal pieces. I love my four sons. I do not enjoy the feeling of being torn into parts to satisfy the mob. I love them all the same, priorities have to shift according to need and convenience. I do not have a vendetta against any of them at any time, only a desire to help. I think that I am going to purpose to be a loving and obedient daughter to my King and pray that the "fair" mother stuff gets sorted out in the wash.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Praise God life is not fair or we would all go to Hell. I am thankful for mercy and not "fairness". Thanks for posting

The Gardner Gang said...

Oh come on are you sure you don't single out David for mistreatment? He is your middle child after all. I know this because I have Emma, David's behavioral clone. I know exactly what you mean. The older kids think that because I am doing things for Ian that he couldn't possibly do for himself that I must love him more. Anyway have a great day.
H