Monday, February 4, 2008

Daddy Longlegs

Have you ever heard that the daddy longlegs spider has deadly venom, but that his mouth is so small that he can't hurt people? I grew up hearing that tale. I don't know if it is really true or not, but for the sake of arguement let's assume it is. I think that Matt is like a daddy longlegs. No, he isn't poisonous. He looks harmless enough on the outside, but on the inside, when it really matters, he means business. He is the best husband and father that I could have ever hoped to be blessed with. He is quiet and humble on the surface, but is strong and protecting to everyone he loves. He is a hard and tireless worker, who strives not only to provide, but to please and pamper us as well. He is uproariously funny, when you take the time to listen. He is fun to be around, he plays as hard as any of his sons. He is so strong that he carries this family on faith alone. I dearly love this man. I am amazed that God gave him to me forever! I am so glad that we live by grace and not by merit, because I definitely did not merit him. Thank you, God for the man You allow me to call husband and my children to call "Daddy".

2 comments:

The Gardner Gang said...

I agree that Matt is all those things. However I think you are selling yourself short. You are a great wife to him. You take good care of him. We are blessed to be able to call you both friends.
H

Mel said...

Your husband is blessed to have a wife that honors him so!

FYI, I have 5 boys (1 girl) and my oldest boy is a spider/bug fanatic. The traditional spider we know as a Daddy Long Leg isn't even a spider. He has no fangs and no venom.
The spider he is confused with is called a Cellar Spider, which may actually be poisonous to humans but there are no known bites to go off of.

Like you, I have too many boys in my house. I feel I will always be accosted with spider facts.