Monday, March 31, 2008

Twelve Terrific Years

On Saturday the 29th of March, we celebrated a momentous event. Matthew David Beam turned twelve years old. I realize that in a family of almost five children that may seem like no biggie, but it is. You see, David is special. Some of the people here in Charleston have only met him in the midst of his pre-teen angst period but you others know what I'm talking about. Out of all the babies I have had, when I close my eyes he is the one I can still feel in my arms. I don't mean that I love or even like him more than the others, he is just David, that is the only way to explain it. I took him to a nursing home visit when he was 11 days old. We walked into the room of a 96 year-old blind woman. She immediately reached out and asked to hold the baby in the room. I gave him to her and she knew he was a boy and asked his name. I told her and she announced to all that he would grow to preach the word of God but she would not be around to hear it. Every time a visiting pastor came to our church, they would point to him and ask who he was. They all announced that he had a special anointing over him. We used to do a hot dog give-away in an underprivileged area. David chose to go from home to home praying for the shut-ins instead of playing with the other kids. I guess I can sum all this up by telling my Lord how very thankful I am for the gift of David in my life. I love all of my children, I'm just taking the time to honor David on the anniversary of his birth.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. He truly is a very special young man. Happy Birthday, David!
DV

Anonymous said...

Kathy you are so good and your family is awesome. Happy Birthday David! You are a special young man and always a joy. Miss you guys
Twila

Bill & Susan said...

Pass on Susan and my wishes to the young man. We are looking forward to coming and seeing him play some baseball. Gooo Owlz

The Gardner Gang said...

I have known David all of his life and he is all you say he is. He wosen't nick named "smiley" for nothing. As a baby he was the MOST beautiful little boy I have ever seen. I can still say that having two of my own. David I know you are going to read this so I hope you know how proud we are of you and how much we love you. Mushy enough from your dear aunt?
Love ya kid.
Good job Kathy and Matt,
Heather and the Gang

Anonymous said...

I am special aren't I!!!!!!!!

Andy Gill said...

I did not know this story, but when I was reading it... I could see how I know that David could grow up to do the things people has said he could do. David, you are a remarkable young man, and I pray that God uses you to touch many people's lives in the future. I know you have touched my family's lives. Miss you man... let me know when baseball starts!

AG